After the Death of Your Spouse: Next Financial Steps for Surviving Spouses (Paperback)
As a surviving spouse, you might find yourself overwhelmed by all the administrative to-do items that you have to handle soon after the death of your spouse. There's a lot to do, much of which you've never done before. And you're supposed to get it all done while grieving.
This book walks you through it, in plain language.
Part One: Immediate Next Steps
1. Learn the Terms (The Estate Administration Process)
2. Getting Organized
3. Notifying Necessary Parties
4. Initial Responsibilities as Personal Representative
5. Updating Your Own Estate Plan
Part Two: Intermediate Next Steps
6. Social Security Planning
7. Further Responsibilities as Personal Representative
8. Handling Inherited Retirement Accounts
9. Additional Options as a Beneficiary and Surviving Spouse
10. Tax Returns
11. Reassessing Your Own Finances
12. Reassess Your Portfolio
13. Finding Professional Assistance
Conclusion: What's Next?
Appendix A: Does an Inheritance Create Taxable Income?
Appendix B: Social Security Widow(er) Benefit Math Details
Appendix C: Dealing with Trusts