Native Plants for the Short Season Yard: Best Picks for the Chinook and Canadian Prairie Zones (Paperback)
This is the definitive guide to gardening with native plants on the prairies. Gardening with native plants has lots of advantages, not only for your yard, but also for the ecosystem. What could be better than a beautiful, low-maintenance yard that preserves biodiversity and withstands the prairie climate? Native Plants for the Short Season Yard is the key for western Canadian gardeners wanting to unlock the full potential of native plants. With the wit and wisdom his fans love, Lyndon shares the basics of shopping for, propagating, and designing with native plants. He also shines a light on more than 100 of his favourite native plants, along with tips on how to grow them. Topics include:
- How to ethically and responsibly grow native plants from seeds and cuttings.
- Identifying the best plants for sunny, shady, wet, or dry spots in your yard.
- The plants best left to wild spaces and those you should avoid at all costs.
- Advice from gardening experts who share their secrets and successes with native plants.
- Protecting your garden with natural alternatives to herbicides and pesticides.