Caring Science, Mindful Practice: Implementing Watson's Human Caring Theory (Paperback)
Praise for the First Edition:
"The book offers rich examples of nursing projects that may broaden nursing care for greater patient and student satisfaction and assist nurses with holistic self-care."
--Gale Robinson-Smith, PhD, RN
Associate Professor, College of Nursing, Villanova University
International Journal for Human Caring
"Provides wonderful tools for nurses to use in practice, education, or even for self-care. Designed for any nurse, . . . who wishes to learn more about applying Jean Watson's Human Caring Theory to practice ... It] is a practical, easy-to-read book for all nursing audiences and could be used at any educational level."
--Doody's Medical Reviews
"Sitzman and Watsons' book is an invaluable resource. The strength of this book is its simplicity on one level yet its complexity as the reader works throughout the layers incorporated within the book."
This seminal work, based on the philosophy of Watson's Human Caring Theory, is designed to help students and practitioners of nursing to simplify Watson's complex teachings and integrate them into everyday practice. The revised second edition includes an abundance of new micro-practice examples for each of the 10 Caritas Processes(R); practical exemplars from Dr. Sitzman's research, enabling readers to cultivate Caritas and mindfulness on a daily basis; and new case studies demonstrating how others have implemented Human Caring Science into everyday life and work.
Drawing on the contemplative and mindfulness teachings of Thich Nhat Hanh, the text offers an engaging entry into Human Caring Theory for newcomers and deepens understanding for current practitioners. Clear and simple content supports foundational learning and promotes direct experience related to Watson's work. The book features guided mindfulness activities and artistic practices for each of the 10 Caritas Processes, plus case studies and guided procedures to facilitate learning and internalizing the method. The text also serves as the foundational text for the WCSI online course that provides step-by-step instructions on how to integrate and ground the philosophy and abstracts of Human Caring Theory into practice.
New to the Second Edition:
- New and updated content throughout
- Presents new examples from authors' research for cultivating daily Caritas and mindfulness practices
- Each Caritas Process chapter includes micro-practice examples from scholarly work demonstrating use of Watson's Theory
- Abundant case studies demonstrate how others have implemented Caring Science and Mindfulness in everyday life and work
- Engages newcomers in learning Human Caring Theory and deepens understanding for current practitioners
- Facilitates integration of the philosophy and abstracts of Human Caring Theory into clinical practice
- Provides abundant case studies and guided activities to reinforce content
- Includes guided mindfulness and artistic practices for each of the Ten Caritas Processes
- Designed for a diverse audience including undergraduate, graduate, and international nursing and health science students
- Serves as the foundational text for the companion WCSI online course (including videos)